If you want to lose weight healthily and sustainably, boosting your metabolism is a great way to do it. Your metabolic rate determines how many calories you burn each day, and speeding up your metabolism will allow you to lose weight faster. A big factor that determines the speed of your metabolism is what you feed your body. In this review, we will discuss foods that boost metabolism so that your body can work harder to achieve your goals.
Before we dive into ten foods that boost metabolism, we want to cover some frequently asked questions that will provide further context for the information provided below.
1. Foods That Boost Metabolism—How Do They Work?
Foods that boost your metabolism simulate hormones that increase your metabolic rate, therefore increasing your body’s fat burning capability. Some foods do this by changing your body temperature and expending more energy to keep your temperature at the right level. Other foods require more energy to digest, which boosts your metabolism.
2. What Can Boosting Your Metabolism Do?
When you consume foods that boost your metabolism, they assist you in burning fat while maintaining a healthy life. Consuming these foods impact the body in similar ways to participating in a cardio session. If you consume these foods in the right amounts and at the right times of the day, you can see results in weight-loss and muscle-gain goals.
3. Is Eating Foods That Boost Metabolism Enough to Achieve Weight Loss?
While boosting your metabolism can aid in weight loss, it is best when paired with an overall healthy diet and regular exercise.
4. Where Can You Buy Foods That Boost Metabolism?
You can purchase foods that increase your metabolic rate in grocery stores or online. You can find most of these products on Amazon.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed ten of the top foods that boost metabolism by evaluating their pros and cons, the prices of these products, and other details. We have described ten of these products so you can gain a comprehensive picture of metabolism-boosting foods.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
You can buy many of these products for prices between $3 and $25, but the price depends on your site of purchase and the quantity that you purchase at one time.
What We Reviewed
- Yogi Tea – Green Tea
- Whole Natural Raw Almonds
- Whey Protein
- Ground Cinnamon
- Psyllium Husk
- Dark Chocolate
Yogi Tea – Green Tea
Green tea is originally from China and is rich in catechin polyphenols, which are proven to have antioxidant characteristics with potential health benefits. The antioxidant benefits include reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Sipping on green tea can reduce your appetite due to its hot temperature, and it can be purchased as a leaf, in a bag, or as an extract.
A six-pack of Yogi Tea- Green Tea Pure Green, with 96 total tea bags, costs about $24 on Amazon.
- Contains antioxidants with a lot of health benefits
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Can reduce your appetite
- Contains caffeine, so can only be consumed at certain times of the day
- Not appropriate for people who are sensitive to stimulants
- Some customers reported a poor taste
Whole Natural Raw Almonds
Almonds are very nutritionally dense, and by only eating a small portion size, you can gain a lot of healthy macronutrients and good calories. Almonds provide the most healthy calories and nutrition for the smallest serving size. Health benefits include Vitamin E (an antioxidant), fiber to keep you full, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Almonds can lower cholesterol and are great food for a diet low in saturated fat.
A 25-ounce of almonds costs about $12 on Amazon, while a 40-ounce bag costs about $13.
- Contain fatty acids and fiber and sparks faster metabolism
- Great source of Vitamin E
- Offers heart-healthy monounsaturated fat
- Small serving size contains a lot of calories
- A relatively expensive snack food
- Not flavored and some customers say they taste bland
Ginger is an ingredient that can be found in many weight loss supplements, as it contains acids that simulate gastric enzymes and is one of the foods that boost metabolism. It is supposed to increase calorie burn and aid in controlling appetite. A 2012 study showed that participants who regularly consumed ginger had higher levels of thermogenesis, which is the warming effect of energy produced when food is metabolized and were, therefore, less hungry.
You can purchase two pounds of ginger on Amazon for about $13.
- Boosts metabolism, as it simulates gastric enzymes
- Increases appetite and controls hunger
- Can improve blood circulation
- Pregnant women should be careful when consuming ginger as it could have negative side effects
- Should be consumed in moderation as too much ginger can be detrimental
- Potential side effects of heartburn, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort
Whey protein is the highest quality and best form of protein, and it provides the body with necessary building blocks to produce amino acids that are used to build muscle tissue. Many people who train with weights know the importance of protein supplementation. Also, many have found that whey protein contains the perfect combination of overall amino acid makeup for optimal body performance. Whey protein enhances both hormonal and cellular responses, and it helps to support a healthy immune system.
You can purchase sixteen ounces of Whey protein powder on Amazon for around $14.
- Produces amino acids that are used to build muscle tissue
- Supports the body for optimal exercise performance
- Enhances both hormonal and cellular responses
- Possible side effects of nausea and headaches
- Can cause bloating and cramps
- Too much whey protein causes flatulence
Cinnamon is a zero-calorie spice that enhances flavors and helps to metabolize sugar. It has been proven to increase fat burning, as cinnamon increases the body’s sensitivity to insulin and enables consumers to be less prone to weight gain. As little as 1 gram or 1/4 of a teaspoon of cinnamon every day can lower blood sugar and can reduce cholesterol by 10% to 25%.
You can purchase 18 ounces of ground cinnamon on Amazon for about $7.
- Zero-calorie spice that is delicious in coffee, yogurt, protein shakes, and more
- Increases the body’s sensitivity to insulin and makes consumers less prone to gaining weight
- Increases fat burning
- Can potentially cause breathing problems
- Can potentially increase the risk of cancer
- Can cause low blood sugar
Psyllium Husk is one of the foods that boost metabolism, and it comes from the crushed seeds of the Plantago ovata plant. It is rich in soluble fiber, and it promotes regular bowel movement. Also, it prevents constipation, it removes toxic waste, and it helps to prevent colon cancer by keeping an optimal pH in intestines. It keeps you fuller for longer, and it can reduce the risk of heart disease when it is included as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
You can purchase 24 ounces of Psyllium Husk powder on Amazon for about $10.
- Recognized for its potential role in reducing blood cholesterol
- Promotes regular bowel movements
- Removes toxic waste from your colon
- Potential side effects like nausea and stomach pain
- A potential difficulty with breathing
- Potential side effects of itching and skin rash
Large, slow-cooking rolled oats are a great source of insoluble and soluble fiber. Insoluble fiber has cancer-fighting properties that attack bile acids and reduces their toxicity. Soluble fiber can reduce LDL cholesterol without lowering HDL cholesterol and also slows down the digestion of starch. Some studies show that people who eat more oats are less likely to develop heart disease.
You can buy a 42 ounce of Old Fashioned Oatmeal for about $3 on Amazon.
- Oats are a great source of protein
- Great source of insoluble and soluble fiber
- Reduces LDL cholesterol (bad) and does not lower HDL cholesterol (good)
- Bad if it contains a lot of sugar
- People think that it’s healthier and consume too much
- Can potentially backfire for those trying to lose weight if it contains sugar
Grapefruit is a delicious fruit that will give you a boost of Vitamin C and can prevent your body from producing a lot of insulin. Insulin is what tells your body to store food in the form of fat, so when you reduce the production of insulin, it prevents weight gain. Further, grapefruit is loaded with fiber, and fiber will help your digestive system operate at top speeds.
While you can purchase grapefruits in a grocery store, you can also purchase a 60-ounce bottle of Ocean Spray Grapefruit juice on Amazon for about $3.
- Great source of Vitamin C
- Prevents your body from producing a lot of insulin and storing fat
- Great source of fiber that aids in your digestive system
- Potentially interacts negatively with certain medicines
- Excessive consumption can cause stomach pains and indigestion
- Excessive intake of grapefruit can have negative impacts because of its acidity
Dark chocolate is one of the foods that boost metabolism, and eating 1 ounce of dark chocolate three times per week has been proven to help with food digestion. It inhibits insulin resistance, reduces stress and cortisol levels, and can ultimately prevent overeating.
It can lower blood pressure, it can increase blood circulation, and it can stimulate energy and elevate endorphins. Further, dark chocolate contains essential minerals and is supposed to keep consumers feeling more satisfied and fuller for longer.
You can buy a 12-pack of 3-ounce bars of the Endangered Species dark chocolate with 88% cocoa on Amazon for about $30.
- Inhibits insulin resistance, reduces stress, and depletes cortisol levels
- It can lower blood pressure and promote blood circulation
- Can elevate energy and endorphins
- Dark chocolate contains caffeine
- Increased risk of acid reflux
- High in calories and contains added sugar
Turkey is naturally low in fat and contains only 1 gram of fat per ounce. It is a good source of Vitamins B, B1, B6, zinc, and potassium. Many of these nutrients can keep cholesterol low, can protect against birth defects, can prevent cancer and heart disease, can aid in nerve function and growth, and can boost the immune system. Further, it is high in protein, which is great for building muscle and losing fat.
You can buy a 14.5 ounce of all natural canned turkey on Amazon for about $5.
- Can keep cholesterol low
- Can boost the immune system
- High in protein
- Contains tryptophan, which can make consumers drowsy
- Not suitable for those that do not eat meat
- Might increase the risk for cancer
While many foods can boost your metabolism and aid in your weight loss, the ten that we have reviewed above are popular and have found success from many users. If you are interested in building muscle while aiming for weight loss, we recommend that you look into whey protein.
If you are seeking low-calorie foods that boost metabolism, we recommend that you try cinnamon, Psyllium Husk powder, green tea, or ginger. For those seeking something to fill you up that is high in calories and nutrients, we recommend that you try almonds.
Ultimately, the food that you choose depends on your taste preferences, the time of day that you want to eat it, and the goals you are trying to achieve. We think all ten of the foods discussed above can aid in increasing metabolism, and we hope that you find an option that is right for your diet.